The School & Family Works: Psychotherapists required to facilitate Family Group intervention in West and South West London
‘I was cross and I had a hot feeling in my tummy. But I feel better now and my brain is back in my head.’
(Family Group member, aged 5)
Background to role
The School & Family Works (SFW) is a small, not for profit, Social Enterprise, operating under the umbrella of Transgenerational Change Ltd (‘TCL’), and is based in Richmond, Surrey. Our purpose is to transform the lives of children who are failing at school because of behavioural, emotional and / or family issues and to enable long term change.
Due to expansion into two new schools, we are looking for Therapists to join our growing team running Family Groups in West and South West London boroughs. Ours is a dedicated, stimulating team of experienced psychotherapists with various specialisms, led by an innovative CEO committed to enabling systemic change. We offer a supportive, dynamic and nurturing working environment in which you can have fun while making a real difference for children, families and schools.
For the past 11 years, SFW has run Family Groups based on the Marlborough multi-family model in maintained schools in the south west of London. Family Groups support Key Stage 1 and 2 pupils in mainstream and special schools.
Family Group is a long-term intervention for a community of 8 families from one school. Participating children are all “failing” at school and, during the recruitment phase, a parent/carer is persuaded to join the community and work with the other community members to help all the children fulfil their potential. Once recruited, families meet weekly during term time for a three hour session. Each session is led by one of our experienced Therapists and a senior member of the school staff. The sessions are designed to develop reflective and analytical skills in all participants. Children help set targets for behaviour that are supported both at school and at home. Group exercises strengthen relationships between participants and promote mutual challenge/ support. Parents benefit from the support of the other parents and feel that they finally have a place to gain the confidence and skills they need to support their children.
We provide our Therapists with monthly individual clinical supervision, monthly group supervision and practice support from a Senior Therapist.
‘Family Group’ Therapist – (1 day for each Family Group – Tues, Wed, or Thurs – whole day at school site). Additionally, therapists will need to be available one Friday monthly for training and supervision.
You will have responsibility for the delivery of up to two of TCL’s Family Groups (“FG”). This means that, with support from the Chief Executive (and/or his nominee), for each FG, your role will include (but will not be limited to) the following specific responsibilities:
- Running the FG in partnership with a school, on the school site in accordance with TCL’s standard procedures
- Actively recruiting families to the group and facilitating their fullest engagement with the intervention
- Working in partnership with the school-based partner to co-facilitate the group and ensure the intervention is implemented fully
- Providing consultation to school staff and to group families on the day of the group
- Managing the collection of quantitative and qualitative data to measure the outcomes of the intervention, as required
- Liaising with professionals from other services working with FG families
- Presenting and promoting the model and relevant aspects of the work to prospective participants, school staff and other professionals
- Attending meetings, providing regular feedback to the Head Teacher and otherwise maintaining good relationships with the sponsors/funders of the group
- Attending training and supervision as required
- Sharing knowledge and experiences with other TCL therapists
- Providing feedback to other TCL directors and staff as required
We are looking for candidates who can ideally, but not necessarily exclusively, fit the following profile:
- Be available for one or two days per week (Tues, Wed, Thurs) with some flexibility for training sessions, Clinical Supervision, and one Friday per month for Group Supervision.
- Some flexibility to travel
- Work well as part of a team, but equally are self-motivated and willing to take on responsibility for their group at the school.
- Are qualified, experienced, accredited (UKCP, BACP, BADth, BABAPT) therapists / psychotherapists with some experience in running groups
- Have experience of working in a school
- Appreciate the value of undertaking measurement and reporting back to the Exec Team
- Knowledge of basic Microsoft Word and Excel and access to the internet.
Terms and conditions to be agreed. £ rate of pay negotiable but commensurate with standard CAMHS rates.
If you are interested in the role, then we would be delighted to hear from you. Please send an up-to-date CV to [email protected] and we will be in touch.
Find out more on our family facing website: https://www.sfwfamilygroup.org
As an employer committed to equal opportunities in all its practices, SFW recognises that groups and individuals are discriminated against on the basis of age, gender, ethnic origin, race, nationality, colour of skin, sexual orientation, impairment (physical, sensory or learning), physical appearance, marital or other life status, religious or political belief and other differences that cannot be justified.
It is the policy of The School & Family Works that no employee or prospective employee will receive less favourable treatment or be disadvantaged by any circumstances, conditions or requirements that cannot be justified